19 April 2017
We are looking for an experienced and motivated Scientific Curator to join the Gene Expression team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located at the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK. The role of the Scientific Curator will be to work with various production databases and grant-funded projects, including ArrayExpress, BioStudies and Expression Atlas.
You will will participate in:
- Bio-curation and management of metadata for experiment submissions handled by the Gene Expression team;
- Curation of expression data for Expression Atlas;
- Documentation and testing of analysis and reporting pipelines used by the team;
- The development and extension of standard formats for functional genomics data (e.g. microarray gene expression data, high-throughput single-cell sequencing data;
- Interaction with software developers at EMBL-EBI to jointly specify, design and test software relevant to the team’s work;
- Design and delivery of training materials for Functional Genomics resources (e.g. at hands-on training courses), with occasional collection of participant feedback to guide user-focused development of Expression Atlas and other Functional Genomics resources at the EBI. Occasional travel may also be required.
- The post holder will report to the Gene Expression Team Leader.
At EMBL-EBI, we help scientists realise the potential of ‘big data’ in biology by enabling them to exploit complex information to make discoveries that benefit mankind. Working for EMBL-EBI gives you an opportunity to apply your skills and energy for the greater good. As part of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory (EMBL), we are a non-profit, intergovernmental organisation funded by 22 member states and two associate member states and proud to be an equal-opportunity employer. We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK, and our 600 staff are engineers, technicians, scientists and other professionals from all over the world.
Qualifications and Experience
You should have a first degree in Biology and a relevant higher degree such as in MSc in Biology or Bioinformatics. PhD or equivalent work experience is preferred. A background in working with high throughput data, especially array-based gene expression, genotyping or high-throughput sequencing data would be useful. Experience working with research scientists analysing or managing research data, or working in a production environment managing scientific data is desirable.
No programming experience is required, but some experience in any of Unix shell, SQL and XML and relational databases (Oracle, MySQL) would be advantageous. Any experience with the use and design of controlled vocabularies would be useful. Experience of working with RNA-seq data is particularly welcome.
You will have effective communication and team work skills to work successfully within a busy team and will interact with the collaborators, users, support teams and other EBI staff.
EMBL is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to an international research organisation. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme and health insurance, educational and other family related benefits where applicable, as well as financial support for relocation and installation.
We have an informal culture, international working environment and excellent professional development opportunities but one of the really amazing things about us is the concentration of technical and scientific expertise – something you probably won’t find anywhere else.
If you’ve ever visited the campus you’ll have experienced first-hand our friendly, collegial and supportive atmosphere, set in the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. Our staff also enjoy excellent sports facilities including a gym, a free shuttle bus, an on-site nursery, cafés and restaurant and a library.
To apply please submit a covering letter and CV, with two referees, through our online system