Cambridge Start Up of the Year 2018
We are a rapidly growing University of Cambridge spin out aiming to become a defining force in the emerging field of synthetic biology as the leading global supplier of human cells for basic research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. We have established a unique cellular programming technology that allows for unprecedented levels of speed, consistency and purity to generate mature human cells at scale from pluripotent stem cells.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Your role in our team:
We are looking for an experienced scientific leader with excellent track record to develop our human pluripotent stem cell platform. Reporting directly to our Chief Scientific Officer, the candidate will lead a team of scientists at a focal point between the R&D and Cell Production departments. The main objectives of the team are:
• To provide core scientific and material support to the R&D and Production teams in all activities related to human pluripotent stem cells (sourcing, characterisation, traceability and quality control, inventory management).
• To lead innovation and strategic collaborations for the continuous development of the pluripotent stem cell core platform to accompany the company growth.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Leading, inspiring and growing a team of dedicated scientists providing a state-of-the-art human pluripotent stem cell facility to support Bit Bio’s R&D and cell production capacity.
• Operationally responsible for the running of the iPSC core facility.
• Contributing to the development of company strategic programmes by driving innovation for human pluripotent stem cell culture.
• Working in close collaboration with other Department Heads (Research, Clinical translation, Production and Product Management) to meet scientific, clinical and new product launch objectives.
• Liaise with external bodies, collaborators and customers on any pluripotent stem cell related matters.
• Engaging with the academic and industry scientific community to promote and diversify the company pluripotent stem cell activities.
… have a PhD in life sciences with a minimum of 5-years experience as a stem cell/cell line platform leader in a relevant industry or scientific organisation/institution.
… enjoy growing and leading a high-performing team of scientists.
… are process oriented and experienced in developing, optimising & implementing workflows, protocols, procedures and resources, with knowledge and experience in working in a quality management environment.
…enjoy tackling research challenges through critical thinking and inventiveness, demonstrating the highest scientific rigour, operational skills and work standards.
… are comfortable and used to working to tight timelines and managing workload and priorities.
… are a passionate team player with excellent communication skills.
...With essential experience in…
• Human pluripotent stem cell biology, characterisation and culture systems.
• Team leadership and project management involving multiple internal and external stakeholders.
• Working within a quality management environment
• Developing operational infrastructure
• Have knowledge of cGMP processes and regulations applicable to human iPSCs
• Cell culture and manufacture automation
• Genetic engineering
More reasons to join us:
Bit Bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support Bit Bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent / Start: Immediate
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Office Based Position
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com