Cambridge Start Up of the Year 2018
Bit Bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At Bit Bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Your role in our team:
We are looking for an experienced Laboratory Manager to promote a proactive, continual improvement culture and to create and embed systems to maintain high standards of service and good lab practices. Reporting to our Head of Research Operations, the candidate will lead a team of up to three Laboratory Technicians at a focal point of ensuring effective laboratory operations while maintaining high levels of safety, quality and service. The primary aim of this role is to ensure laboratory space, equipment and consumables – used for the maintenance and differentiation of human induced Pluripotent Stem Cells - are kept clean, in safe, working condition and adequately stocked to maximise productivity and minimise delays for both Production and Research Scientists.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• Ensure the laboratory environment meets all regulatory, QEHS policies and procedures such that employees, visitors and the environment are protected from significant risk. This includes identifying, reporting and correcting QEHS deviations/failures as they occur.
• Identify training gaps, coordinate and perform laboratory QEHS and equipment training.
• Ensure all equipment/instrumentation is properly maintained and serviced complying with regulatory standards and ensure proper performance and function.
• Establish strong relationships with the laboratory teams in order to understand and support their workload, challenges and constraints.
• Implement industry best practice (e.g. LEAN, 5S, Kanban) to ensure the laboratory is adequately stocked with consumables, reagents and in-house aliquots in a clearly organised and accessible manner. This includes receiving all deliveries and organising their storage.
• Implement systems to manage emergency situations within the laboratory, such as out-of-hours critical equipment breakdowns.
• Author documented SOPs, where this is beneficial, for training and consistency in collaboration with QA and in line with the QEHS Management Systems.
• Have a degree in a relevant scientific/process discipline
• Have excellent organisational skills
• Are driven and proactive and go above and beyond the call of duty
• Are confident, secure and open about own weaknesses
• Carry excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Have the ability to lead and mentor others
• Are accurate, with a good attention to detail and aseptic technique
• Have mechanical prowess and equipment maintenance skills
...With essential experience in…
• LEAN (5S, Kanban, Kaizen) Management
• Laboratory and People Management
• Training others to high degree of competence
• Working within research laboratory environment
• GMP/GLP principles
• LEAN Management Level 2 Certificate
• GLP/GMP Training certifications
• NEBOSH National Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety
• QESH / ISO9001 Training
More reasons to join us:
Bit Bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support Bit Bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge
Type: Full time, permanent / Start: Immediate
Salary: Competitive / Hours: 40 p/w
Office Based Position
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org