Metrion Biosciences (‘Metrion’) is a UK-based, ion channel focused Contract Research Organisation (CRO) providing high-quality in vitro preclinical drug discovery and safety profiling services. Formed in 2015, Metrion has since established a loyal and growing global customer base who access our comprehensive suite of drug discovery services; including medicinal chemistry screening support, cardiac safety profiling and custom assays using native tissue and stem cells.
Metrion’s vision is to establish the company as the first-choice outsourcing partner for ion channel drug discovery research and cardiac safety services for the worldwide pharmaceutical industry.
Metrion is forming a new Cell Biology Group to increase our portfolio of cell lines and cell biology technologies for use in customer research programmes. We are seeking a highly motivated and creative scientist with a strong intellectual and practical background in cellular and molecular biology to lead this initiative. The role will be based at our Granta Park headquarters (Cambridge, UK) and the successful applicant will be responsible for the strategic planning of cell biology activities and management of a small team.
Candidates should ideally have experience in eukaryotic cell culture techniques, a strong background in molecular biology and protein expression techniques, knowledge of stem cell biology and some management experience.
Duties will include the following:
• Working with Metrion’s senior management team to develop and prosecute a strategy to create new cell lines expressing ion channels and, where applicable, appropriate accessory subunits.
• Provision of technical expertise for the identification and implementation of new ion channel cell biology technologies at Metrion.
• Performing hands on cell biology laboratory work, to include:
o Conceiving, planning, design, execution and supervision of experiments.
o Efficient authoring of protocols and documentation of study results.
o Presentation of results at team meetings and providing recommendations for future strategy.
o Ability to work in a cooperative team environment.
• Line management of the cell biology team.
• Liaison with the lab team to establish and validate ion channel cell lines of sufficient quality for the provision of assay services to Metrion’s clients.
• Leading the identification and implementation of new technologies at Metrion to aid in the generation of new cell lines.
Essential Skills Qualifications:
• Demonstrable experience in eukaryotic cell culture and protein expression.
• Expertise in molecular biology and conducting experiments to generate cell-based expression systems, including stable and transient transfection methodology.
• Knowledge of cell-based assays or developing of screening assays using heterologous cell-based expression systems and stem cells.
• Experience with leading scientific teams, developing and implementing experimental research plans. Line management experience, especially with respect to developing a team.
• Excellent attention to detail and ability to record and maintain accurate written records.
• Strong interpersonal, presentation, time management, organisational and written/ oral communication skills.
• PhD in Lifesciences with at least three years’ experience of laboratory research experience. BSc or MSc with at least five years of laboratory research experience.
• Experience of working in a busy industrial/commercial laboratory environment.
• Knowledge and /or experience of patch clamp electrophysiology (manual or automated).