Sector : Science for the renewable energy / energy storage sector
Location : Chesterford Research Park, Near Saffron Walden, Cambridgeshire
Salary : Negotiable but likely to be in the £20,000-£25,000 bracket and will be very much dependant on ability and experience
Superdielectrics Limited set out in 2013 to develop biocompatible, electrically conducting hydrophilic polymers which had the potential to be used in Bioelectronics. During their research and development programme, they noted that their materials exhibited very unusual electrical properties. Following independent research by the Bristol University Electrochemistry group, it was found that when tested in devices with simple carbon electrodes, the devices were characterised by geometrical capacitances three or four orders of magnitude larger than the geometrical capacitances of carbon electrodes in conventional electrolyte solutions. It was determined that these outstanding electrochemical properties could be exploited in the development of high energy density supercapacitors.
Their goal now is to develop high energy density, low cost, low environmental impact electrical energy storage devices that will help create a clean and sustainable global energy and transportation system.
As part of their continued development, they now have an opportunity for someone to join their team in the position of
This role will see you working at the cutting edge of technology in the assembly and test of supercapacitor cells and electrodes. You will ensure that all laboratory equipment is maintained and calibrated in accordance with its manufacturer’s instructions and will ensure that the highest standards of housekeeping are maintained at all times.
• Whilst specific academic qualifications are not a pre-requisite for this role, any formal education or training in wet chemistry and/or polymerisation processes would
• Any experience, knowledge or understanding of electrochemistry would be useful but is not essential
• Proven experience of working in a laboratory environment is essential. This should ideally be chemistry or materials based but we are also happy to consider
candidates with experience of different science applications (physics, biology).
• On the production side of things, you should have experience or an understanding of :-
- Operating instrumentation & performing quality checks
- Updating QMS
- Sample preparation
- Assisting with product manufacture
- Testing of products
- Maintaining / calibrating equipment
• Able to follow instructions accurately and with close attention to detail
• Competent to work safely in a chemical laboratory without the need for supervision including demonstrable awareness of good practice in terms of laboratory
health and safety
• Dextrous, able to assemble small, complex cells and electrodes
• Experience of laboratory equipment including keeping equipment in good order and maintained in accordance with specified standards
• Good understanding of laboratory housekeeping
• Able to keep accurate records and to compile technical reports
• Strong team player – able and willing to actively contribute to team objectives
• Able to work to industry standards eg ISO 9001 (beneficial)
Candidates must have the right to live and work in the UK. We are not able to offer sponsorship for this vacancy.
Please note that this position will be based on the Chesterford Research Park just outside of Saffron Walden (on the Cambridge side). Please ensure that you are able to get to the site on a daily basis.
What is on offer ?
• Basic salary from £20,000-£25,000 (very negotiable according to ability and experience)
• Holidays 25 days plus statutory holidays
• Pension Plan
• The Company intends to set up an ‘in service’ share option scheme subject to HMRC approval.
• The chance to be part of something truly special
To discuss this role in more detail, please contact our recruitment partner Chris Carter at Nicholas Associates Group in Sheffield.
0114 384 0100