Senior Scientist, Translational Sciences – Cambridge, UK
Mission Therapeutics is an early-stage drug development company targeting the ubiquitin pathway for the treatment of neurodegenerative disease, rare mitochondrial diseases and fibrosis. The Company has built a leading platform for the discovery and development of first-in-class, small molecule drugs that selectively target deubiquitylating enzymes – an emerging drug class that is attracting significant commercial interest in the area of protein homeostasis. Mission Therapeutics is ideally situated on the Babraham Research Campus at the heart of Europe’s largest biotechnology cluster.
We are looking for a driven, organized and proactive individual to join our Translational Sciences team.
The successful candidate will be responsible for delivery of in vitro pharmacology / pharmacodynamics studies along with contributing to the discovery and development of biomarker assays with potential for clinical utility.
The job holder will also actively contribute to target biology mechanistic understanding, through evaluation of cellular, molecular and genetic mechanisms, supporting Mission’s lead portfolio programs. The role will be predominately laboratory based.
• Design and perform various in vitro assays to support our projects
• Contribute to the introduction or development of new assay technologies
• Translate biology insights into appropriate research assays to link mechanism of action of our molecules to specific patient populations and help guide clinical plans
• Development, characterisation and validation of biomarker assays with clinical utility
• Input into the biomarker strategy and clinical protocol
• Responsible for liaising with CROs to develop assays to support projects where necessary
• PhD or equivalent experience with a strong background in cell/molecular biology
• Experience within biomarker discovery/target engagement assay development and validation
• Exposure to clinical biomarker assays
• Experience working in cross-functional & matrixed research and translational teams
• Prior experience in delivering data investigating mechanisms and disease-relevant pathways within human translational assays or patient samples
Key Skills and Abilities:
• Extensive tissue culture experience and working with biospecimens from in vivo studies
• Experience with some of these techniques: ELISA, IP, western blotting, flow cytometry, high content imaging, qPCR, HTRF
• Experience working with human biospecimens e.g. blood/PBMCs
• Experience with ‘omics’ technologies desirable
• Previous experience in the principles and techniques of data analysis, interpretation and presentation
• Strong scientific background
• Adhere to safety and other company rules and regulations, maintain lab equipment and reagents when appropriate
• Exceptional communication skills
• Maintain lab notebook, write lab reports, interpret and present data
It is desirable that applicants have:
• Experience in the pharmaceutical industry and the drug development process
• Relevant therapeutic area experience in renal physiology or fibrosis is highly desirable
• Knowledge of the ubiquitin proteasome system
• Understanding of PKPD principles
This is an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic scientist to advance their career at a fast-growing biotech company and to contribute to the development of a new class of medicines.
We offer a competitive salary along with a contributory pension scheme and other excellent benefits.
If you would like to apply for the position, please send your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is 14th February 2020.
In order to comply with UK employment legislation, all applicants for positions at Mission must have the right to work in the UK. In the event that a job offer is made, you will be required to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK before you commence employment with Mission.
All applications received will be managed in accordance with our Job Applicant Privacy Notice available to view on the Careers page of our website.