Sano presents a great opportunity for people who want to make a change in the world by developing life-changing technologies and solutions for healthcare worldwide.
The Sano Centre for Computational Medicine is a new International Scientific Foundation located in Kraków, Poland. Sano aspires to be a major translational scientific institute, operating at the meeting point of academic science, established MedTech industry, and emerging start-up environment, combining the best of these three perspectives. Established with support from the European Commission and the Foundation for Polish Science, Sano aims to be a major driving force behind the advancement of computational medicine for the benefit of healthcare systems worldwide.
Sano will act as a core technology and expertise provider for industry, and creator of innovation, developing state-of-the-art solutions for healthcare. Thanks to the substantial funding and excellent European partnership network, Sano will bring a critical mass to this transformational field of research, in order to translate scientific advancements onto clinical practice. Sano’s ambition is to become the Reference Centre for Computational Medicine in Central Europe and build a reputation as a leading center on a global level.
As a cross-disciplinary institution, Sano will use machine learning/artificial intelligence (ML/AI), large scale computer simulations, data science, and other computational technologies towards overcoming global challenges in healthcare systems. The research agenda will be executed in close collaboration with Partners in Poland, EU and USA.
• Passion - Passion in what we do, engagement in Sano operations, taking responsibility, providing initiative, being happy at work.
• Innovation - Boldness in articulating and pursuing novel ideas, courage to think outside the box.
• Integrity - Directness, openness, tolerance and respect. Scientific integrity (we do not cut corners).
• Diversity - Diversity in backgrounds, cultures and opinions of Sano employees. Promotion of women in STEM.
Sano’s Research Agenda is built on six research pillars, interacting with each other. For each of the pillars, Sano aims to attract senior professionals to assume positions of Group Leaders. Although fully independent, all of the groups at Sano will be working in concert to invent computational healthcare solutions of the future.
Sano is looking for an experienced individual for a role of:
Research Group Leader – Personal Health Data Science
Personal Health Data Science will work on computational solutions for disease prevention, shifting healthcare philosophy from reactive to proactive and understanding factors affecting human health. The group will develop machine learning methods for analysis and creation of personal health predictive models as well as use or artificial intelligence in public health and epidemiology using vast amounts of data from various sources ranging from wearables, IoT, clinical data to and data from Polish centralized healthcare system.
Ultimate goal would be to create a personal health tracking system, able to collect many types of information and predict existing and future risks, present the user with ways to avoid diseases and provide knowledge on how to improve overall health. From the public health perspective data analytics will be used to understand various factors affecting public health.
Sano invites excellent, experienced scientists, willing to work in an academic startup environment to apply for the Group Leader position. The perfect candidate is a seasoned, independent researcher, with a history of leading a research team, keen to address new challenges and willing to work on technologies of the future in a collaborative environment.
Group Leaders will be key Sano employees, shaping the research strategy of the organization to ensure scientific and commercial success. Collaboration between research Groups will allow the best possible technological solutions to be incubated for clinical and industrial translation.
As a Group Leader, you will
• Develop a vision and cohesive research strategy for the Group aligned with Sano’s Research Agenda
• Propose, initialise, lead and perform independent research aligned with the group’s Research Agenda
• Take an active role in the recruitment of group members –assisting Sano’s recruitment specialist in performing open, international competitions for PhD students, postdocs
• Supervise and assist research group members in their day-to-day activities – mentoring, teaching, setting performance goals, helping in development of scientific skills, pursuing research ideas, etc.
• Develop and implement appropriate workflows, tools, and methods
• Actively target additional funding for research through proposing new grants, (as an individual and within consortia), to Polish and international research funding authorities
• With the assistance of Sano’s business development specialist, build strong industrial and clinical alliances, to facilitate access to medical data for junior researchers, and to improve translational prospects of research outputs
• Build and maintain a strong scientific network, establishing collaborations – promoting a networking/collaborative attitude among group members
• Maintain the highest quality scientific and technical outputs from group members, observing Sano’s internal rules for IP management, and taking part in establishing the Sano quality management system for medical software products
• Communicate results at internal meetings, scientific conferences and public dissemination channels
You will have a strong track record, including:
• PhD in relevant field with at least 5 years of postdoctoral experience
• Proven experience as an independent researcher within data analytics, natural language processing, machine learning, and other computational methods applied to health data
• Experience in working with healthcare related data highly desired but not strictly required
• History of supervision of research group and managing research projects independently or in collaboration
• Knowledge of Python, Tableau, sklearn or similar
• Demonstrated track record of high-impact publications
• A record of developing research partnerships and collaborative relationships with universities, industry, and research laboratories
• Experience in translational research highly desired
• Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to work independently, fluent written and oral communication skills in English, no Polish required
• Good organizational skills
As a Group Leader you will benefit from:
• An attractive basic salary from 240k PLN up to 270k PLN gross yearly / approx. up to 60k EUR gross yearly which gives you very good comfort of living in Poland
• Additional private medical care and partially sponsored access to sport facilities
• Relocation support
• An opportunity to build a group from scratch, with a startup employment package available immediately, with opportunities for expansion through new grants and industrial contracts. The approx. budget allocated to each research team will be 3.5M PLN / ~800k EUR in the period 2021-2023.
• Full research freedom in the scope of scientific research and the organizational management of the research group. As one of the Center research group leaders, the selected candidate will be taking the responsibility and the credit for the Centre and its research/commercial achievements.
• Opportunities to co-advise PhD and MSc theses at partner universities
• Continuous support from Sano’s professional software development unit, comprising a team of scientific programmers, data analysts & web developers. Your group will enjoy training and assistance to create not just outstanding scientific papers, but also high quality, sustainable scientific software outputs, positioned for translation to industry and clinics
• Excellent support from proactive, motivated and professional support and development teams, including operations, recruitment, legal/IP, promotion, design, grant acquisition, and business development
• Travel – an associated budget to support attendance at global computational medicine conferences and make research visits to collaborating institutions, for you and your research group
• Access to a significant, and actively expanding, network of Sano collaborators and contacts from academia, clinics and industry – to extend your own network
• The option to take adjunct professorship positions at partner universities, subject to their internal regulations
If you feel that this job opportunity is the career that you are looking for, please apply immediately and give Sano a chance to meet you. Please, be informed that Sano will contact only with Candidates fulfilling the formal criteria.
We require from you:
• Cover letter with short summary of your career. Among others - please describe your area of scientific interests. Also include information about your willingness to work to Poland, timeframe requirements etc
• List of publications / Patents / Grants. List of your best publications, key grants you were awarded (with the income) and your patents, if applicable
• References. Please provide min. 2 reference letters or reference contact
Apply through Sano recruitment system. Every application will be reviewed by our international panel of experts.
If you would like to apply for future openings feel free to send your application to our database.