Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is a leading edge science consultancy offering research, analysis, training and consultancy to our clients globally, primarily blue chip food and pharmaceutical companies. We do with passion, integrity and service to exceed expectations and deliver enhanced value to our clients.
Not only that but we’re supporting our parent company – Mondelēz International – where we operate as the Reading Science Centre. That means we’re both agile and autonomous whilst enjoying the development and growth of being connected to the biggest snacking company in the world.
Purpose of the Role
In RSSL we are customer focused, science led and results driven. The RSSL Pharmaceutical Chemistry laboratory performs a wide range of analytical analyses for a variety of pharmaceutical and healthcare companies and supports Mondelez research and innovation. Thanks to continued success, it's one of our biggest areas of growth at present and now there's an opportunity to join the fast-moving but family-feel Gas Chromatography team.
The role of Senior Scientist is to undertake a practical role with possible line management and supervisory responsibilities within the gas chromatography laboratory. They will play a key role in ensuring that projects are performed and supervised effectively and accurately within agreed timescales and to appropriate quality standards. This role focuses on routine and investigative analyses of products and method development and validations using gas chromatography. Train junior members of the team as required. Client contact and administrative support for laboratory management.
- Provide high quality customer service at all times by ensuring effective organisation of assigned workload, integrity of analytical data generated and timely/accurate provision of results.
- Assist with technical aspects for client proposals for method development, transfers and validation protocols.
- Independently perform a range of routine and investigative analysis using GC and provide interpretation of results generated by GC as required.
- Independently perform method development, transfers and validation of GC methods.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the GC systems including checking and approving supplier’s reports (qualifications, repairs and preventative reports).
- Perform data checking and provide interpretation of results for routine testing.
- Generate certificate of analysis or external interpretive reports.
- Provide training and supervise junior staff in routine activities and methods and interpretation.
- Take responsibility for elements of specific projects and/or specific areas of general laboratory/sample administration and assign housekeeping tasks as required.
- Will be expected to work in different laboratories if the demand is required.
Communication & Influence:
- Work as part of an efficient analytical team.
- Liase with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of project proposals and results.
- Participate in client and stake holders meetings as required.
- Deliver presentations to technical stakeholders and clients as required.
- Manage small projects or defined areas of larger project.
Leadership and supervision:
- Plan own workload and plan routine projects for junior staff.
- Train junior members of the team in routine methods.
- Line management.
- Work to the highest standards of safety and quality by ensuring that appropriate COSHHs, risk assessments and SOPs are understood and followed.
- To complete assigned quality actions in a timely manner, including review and approval.
- Assist with the documentation of SOPs for simple equipment and tests and generation of Risk Assessments and COSHH.
- To maintain a clean, tidy and safe working environment.
- To understand and work to the requirements of GMP and UKAS.
- Ensure training records are accurate.
- Good knowledge of laboratory quality and accreditation systems (GMP/UKAS).
- Experience of working for. Or with, a CRO.
Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training:
- Educated to Degree or PhD in a relevant scientific discipline or equivalent relevant experience in a laboratory.
- Excellent understanding of GC equipment.
- Scientific understanding and ability to independently conduct chemical analysis in relevant area.
- Accountable, honest, hardworking and able to work efficiently in a team. Flexible and adaptable to meet customer/business requirements. Well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently. Meticulous attention to detail.
- Good verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate with client’s and colleagues.
- Self motivated, enthusiastic and quick to learn.
- Able to organise own work and others to maximise output.
- Computer literate in standard MS office applications.
- Ability to deliver projects/work within tight timescales and ability to motivate and mentor junior scievtific staff.
- Technical credibility to develop good working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to problem solve and plan resources to maintain workflow in delivery of projects.
- Extended experience of working with GC.
- Analytical Project management.
- Fluent in English.
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
To apply for this role please click here: https://mondelez.taleo.net/careersection/mdlz_global_external/jobdetail....
To view all RSSL vacancies, please click here: https://www.rssl.com/careers/current-vacancies