Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is a cutting-edge Contract Research Organisation (CRO), providing research, analysis and consultancy to the food and pharmaceutical sectors. Whether we are creating new products, validating medicines or solving investigations, we take pride in being a leader in our field, serving clients from across 60 countries.
In 2019, we’ve been recognised as Enlightened Employer, Women in Business and Thames Valley Tech finalists and in 2018 one of our family earned the Food & Drink Federation’s Scientist of the Year. Enriched by our parent company Mondelēz International, our diverse team includes 23 nationalities from 300 members, creating a family feel as we strive towards our mission of “Science Enhancing Lives”.
Purpose of the Role
RSSL’s facilities include laboratories, industrial kitchens and offices, and contain a variety of potential hazards from caustic, toxic or explosive chemicals to complex machinery and sharp objects. The role of a Health, Safety and Environment Advisor is first and foremost to ensure our staff follow best practice around these hazards and minimise the risks involved in working with them.
This role is responsible for:
Developing and administering the Safety & Environment management system for the Reading and Wokingham UK sites as a health, safety and environment expert. Providing technical and personal leadership in ensuring that the site complies with legislative requirements and that all colleagues are trained and aware of the need to adhere to agreed policies. The role has one direct report to support in delivering this purpose and indirectly ~16 EHS representatives from within the business.
- To develop and maintain the Safety & Environment (S&E) management systems for the Reading sites ensuring continuous improvement programs are implemented in accordance with S&E key performance indicators.
- To ensure legislative compliance and adherence to Mondelez policies and procedures, for all activities associated with the facility, colleagues and visitors. Ensure lab and dept heads implement S&E within their areas and encourage continuous improvement and a culture of safe behaviors.
- To administer the risk assessment program (including COSHH) to ensure the risk associated with of all business activities are understood and programs are in place to reduce these risks.
- To maintain, run and enhance the site accident/near miss investigation programme.
- To ensure the site has adequate coverage of First Aiders, Fire Wardens and Environmental, Health and safety representatives
- To assist with the development and management of the site emergency procedures.
- To design and implement an audit/planned inspection program to confirm business adherence to H&S legislative requirements, Mdlz S&E policies and procedures.
- To administer, develop and where appropriate deliver, the required level of training and awareness to ensure sufficient skills and knowledge to implement S&E requirements.
- Role model behaviors that provide a consistent visible leadership for S&E.
- To provide regular information/reports and communications to colleagues and senior management.
- Offer advice and guidance in line with the Health and Safety at Work act, encompassing but not limited to a range of specialist areas of safety management e.g. fire regulations, hazardous substances, noise, safeguarding machinery, construction management, engaging 3rd party specialists when required.
- Project manage S&E compliance and improvement projects and ensure all changes, particularly engineering and capital investment projects consider S&E impacts.
- Know the ethical and legal compliance responsibilities of the position; lead ethically and model compliant behavior; maintain an environment where employees can speak up without fear of retaliation; ensure employees in area of responsibility understand the compliance responsibilities of their jobs and actively participate in the compliance program.
Communication & Influence
- To be able to engage a variety of stakeholders to gain agreement including Mdlz regional S&E managers on the initiatives that are appropriate to focus on for the Reading sites. Actively participate within the MEU safety community, assisting with the continuous improvement across all aspects of S&E.
- To provide clear guidance to all managers, colleagues and visitors to site for them to ensure adherence to H&S legislative requirements, Mdlz S&E policies and procedures.
- Work as part of an efficient and ever engaging team
- To liase with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of safety issues.
- Participate in client and stakeholders meetings as required.
- Deliver internal presentations across groups and to technical stakeholders.
- Manage small projects or defined areas of larger projects.
Leadership and supervision
- Plan own workload.
- Train other members of RSSL as required.
- Lead the monthly EHS meetings, sharing S&E issues and best practice and with the S&E representatives from each business area to improve knowledge and awareness.
- Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training
- Educated to Degree level or equivalent.
- NEBOSH Certificate (or equivalent experience).
- Membership of IOSH and involvement in their continuous professional development (CPD) programme.
- MS Office software and ability to use various IT tools used to capture data.
- Flexible and adaptable to meet customer/business requirements.
- Well organised and capable of working on multiple activities concurrently.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Self motivated, enthusiastic and quick to learn.
- Able to organise own work and others to maximise output.
- Technical credibility to develop good working relationships with internal and external clients.
- Ability to deliver projects/work within tight timescales and ability to motivate and mentor junior scientific staff.
- Excellent organizational skills, including time management and priority setting.
- Good verbal and written skills with the ability to communicate with client’s and colleagues.
- Ability to problem solve and plan resources to maintain workflow in delivery of projects.
- Informing- keeps manager and key partners informed of progress, achievements and issues at appropriate points.
- Collaborative – ability to build partnerships both internally and externally.
- Influencing and negotiating to convince managers of the need to implement and maintain safety.
- Considerable experience in a Health and Safety role including presentations and training colleagues.
- English fluency (written and spoken)
- Knowledge: including education, qualifications and training
- Science degree or scientific background.
- Experience of working within a scientific or laboratory environment .
We pride ourselves on having a high performing and collaborative culture where we offer support and development to enhance your career and develop your knowledge and skills.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package within a highly successful International business that offers financial rewards and resources, including bonus scheme, contributory pension, life assurance, generous holiday allowance and a flexible benefits programme.
Please be aware that this role may require handling of materials that may contain chemicals, solvents and allergens, and the appropriate protective wear will be supplied.
To apply for this role, please click here: https://mondelez.taleo.net/careersection/mdlz_global_external/jobdetail....
To view all RSSL's vacancies, please click here: https://www.rssl.com/careers/current-vacancies