Associate Scientist / Scientist – Drug Discovery
At F-star, we are dedicated to developing next generation immunotherapies to transform the lives of patients with cancer. We develop mAb², a novel class of disruptive bispecific antibody-based therapies that have the potential to overcome tumour resistance and restore anti-cancer immunity and responsiveness.
We are committed to delivering life-changing treatments for the estimated 80% of patients with cancer who currently fail to have a durable response to immunotherapies.
Our wholly owned pipeline shows focused and potent immune activation, with a promising safety profile to date.
F-stars research team is based in Cambridge UK with an expanding footprint in the US from our Hub in Cambridge, Massachusetts to support our clinical stage requirements.
Working within our R&D Drug Discovery team you will help drive early-stage R&D projects. This lab-based position will involve selections with phage and yeast display formats, protein expression and characterisation, and immunological cell assays to enable lead nomination. The individual will have the opportunity to contribute towards our projects and learn a wide range of techniques used within the bispecific Drug Discovery process.
• Independently design, plan and execute experiments in this lab-based role, in line with project goals to deliver and prepare new mAb2 candidates for the clinic
• Analyse and present data effectively to line manager, peers, and project teams
• Screening and characterisation of antibody molecules
• Develop immune cell activation assays
• Cloning, expression and purification of bispecific molecules
• Design and run selection campaigns using phage and yeast display
• Maintain an up-to-date awareness of scientific literature and F-star relevant competitive intelligence
• Work effectively in a small team and cross-functional working groups
• Contribute to the maintenance of reagents and general upkeep of lab facilities
• PhD or significant experience in industry setting, in a biological subject with a focus on immunology, oncology and/or antibody/protein engineering
• Hands-on experience in antibody based assays
• Hands-on experience in cell/molecular biology;
o DNA manipulation, sequence alignment and analysis
o mammalian cell culture
• Understanding of concepts in cancer biology and immune oncology
• Organised with strong attention to detail
• Enthusiasm to learn and optimise new methods
• Strong communication skills and proven ability to work well in teams and independently
• Experience in phage or yeast display techniques
• Experience in assays using immune cells
• Experience in flow cytometry
• Previous industry experience in R&D drug discovery role
What F-star can offer you We get things done, we keep things simple and we’re driven by the science. We’re ambitious so we work hard to create an environment where we can take smart risks. We want to be innovative so encourage debate and collaboration to challenge the usual way of doing things. We love our celebrations, team work and perks, which make F-star a fun and diverse place to work. And most of all, everyone has the opportunity to make a difference.
• Pension (8% Employer contribution)
• Equity Incentives
• Private Medical Insurance
• Health cash plan
• Life assurance
• 25 days holiday, plus the option to buy 5 days.
• Travel insurance
• Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption pay
• Flexible working opportunities
To apply for this role, please apply via our website: https://www.f-star.com/about/careers/