Role Reference: SRS1903
Isogenica is a leading innovator in synthetic biology, focused on enabling rapid development of next generation antibodies and antibody-based therapeutics through technical innovation.
llamdA™ is Isogenica’s well validated fully synthetic VHH single domain antibody library, proven to yield high quality antibody fragments to a variety of therapeutic target classes. Complementing this, our Alexandria™ library yields human Fab fragments ready for reformatting into conventional IgG format antibodies. CIS Display, our proprietary display technology, perfectly complements very large synthetic libraries. Isogenica is exploiting its technology platforms to enable the discovery of novel antibody drugs against therapeutically important but historically challenging targets.
Over the past few years, Isogenica has built strong and lasting relationships with a number of biotech and biopharma partners, both through the licensing of CIS Display, llamdA™ and Alexandria™ libraries as well as via lead discovery alliances. This has resulted in solid, diversified pipeline of partnered molecules – some of which have already entered clinical development stage. In doing so, the company has built a solid infrastructure and expertise foundation for early stage lead discovery, characterization and optimization.
Isogenica is now expanding its scope of activities to enable broader, deeper strategic relationships with biotech and pharmaceutical partners and to support internal VHH or Fab antibody discovery and development. Aligned to this expansion, Isogenica is currently seeking an experienced Senior Research Scientist to join our Antibody Discovery Alliances team.
WHO YOU ARE
You have a PhD in Life Science or a related field, with more than 5 years antibody discovery and optimisation experience in the CRO, Biotech or Biopharmaceutical industry.
You are an enthusiastic, self-motivated scientist experienced in leading commercial research projects. You have good organisational skills, can handle multiple projects simultaneously and have a track record of effectively managing your own work and that of others, prioritising work in order to meet deadlines.
You will be experienced in project and financial management to deliver projects on-time and within budget, managing the execution of work plans and in the professional presentation of research outcomes via written reports and oral presentations.
You set high standards for yourself and your team, which is evidenced by technical and project-based achievements throughout your CV, which may include progress of programmes you have worked on into pre-clinical or clinical development, peer-reviewed publications, or the receipt of grants, awards and promotions, etc.
You feel accountable for reaching set goals and communicate promptly and clearly on progress towards these goals to your team, supervisors and partners.
You have prior experience in line management and staff training/coaching. You know how to instil a sense of urgency and accountability, yet at the same time create a trusting environment where individuals feel valued and supported.
You help to ensure a safe and efficient working environment for yourself and your colleagues, through knowledge of and adherence to company policies and health and safety guidelines.
In this role you will work closely with the Associate Director of Antibody Alliances to deliver antibody discovery and development programmes under several significant collaborations Isogenica has in place with global biopharmaceutical partners.
Leading a small team of research scientists, your role will involve designing and carrying out selections and screening campaigns on Isogenica’s fully synthetic antibody fragment libraries using phage and CIS Display, in order to identify therapeutic candidates.
Your time will be split equally between conducting research in the laboratory and office-based planning, management and reporting on programmes.
You will communicate work plans to your direct reports and supervise the execution and reporting on these plans. You will provide appropriate guidance to less experienced staff – from hands-on help in the laboratory through to coaching more experienced members of the team.
You will be responsible for collating and reviewing research outputs from your team, and for the preparation and presentation of detailed reports for external partners. You will be involved in telephone and face to face meetings with external partners and will be responsible for articulating the salient points from research reports.
You can independently identify issues, should they arise, and pro-actively suggest or execute troubleshooting or optimization activities.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Leading a small team of scientists and/or research assistants, providing them with scientific and technical guidance on a day to day basis. Assisting the Associate Director of Antibody Alliances in goal setting and appraisals, and with recruiting new members of the team as needed.
• Design antibody selections and screening strategies appropriate to meet the stated end goals. Where needed, you assist the external partner in refining the target product profile at the onset of the program.
• Perform antibody or scaffold protein selections using CIS Display or phage display.
• Perform general molecular biology work (DNA purification, PCR setup, restriction digests/ligations, E. coli transformation, gel electrophoresis, etc).
• Run existing procedures on liquid handling and colony picking robots, help the automation experts refined these as needed, and define which new protocols need implementing.
• Sequence analysis, and high throughput antibody sequence analysis/annotation in particular.
• Analyse protein expression and quality using UV/VIS spectroscopy, SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, size exclusion and affinity chromatography methods, MALDI-TOF or LC/MS mass spectrometry.
• Execute antibody binding assays in a variety of formats, chosen to suit the purpose and throughput (i.e. ELISA, Alphascreen or HTRF, SPR).
• Plan and execute analytical flow cytometry (FACS) cell binding experiments and functional cell-based bioassays (i.e. reporter cell assays).
• Document experiments and procedures in laboratory notebooks, analysing experimental data and presenting in internal and external meetings.
Highly competitive benefits package
Contract type: Full Time
Applications: CV and brief covering letter to: email@example.com
Applicants must have the permanent right to work in the UK.