Summit Therapeutics is a pharmaceutical company solely focused on the anti-infectives area, particularly antibiotic discovery and development. With the recent acquisition of Discuva in Cambridge, UK, Summit is now expanding its antibiotic discovery capabilities. This role will be based in Cambridge (UK) where the focus is to use Summit’s powerful genetic profiling technologies to enable the discovery of next generation antibiotics to address the challenge of antimicrobial resistance. We are looking to recruit a senior scientist to expand and strengthen the antimicrobial profiling capabilities. This is an exciting opportunity to join a fast moving, dynamic company whilst enhancing your experience at the cutting edge of antimicrobial drug discovery. We are looking for a scientist with experience and interest in Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) techniques and applying them to understand the genome-wide impact of novel antimicrobial compounds. This role is expected to mix laboratory-based processes (NGS sample prep and microbiology) with critical data analysis and interpretation. Knowledge of early-stage drug discovery and development would also be beneficial.
The Senior scientist will report to the Director/ Associate Director (Discovery Platform Group).
Main tasks and responsibilities:
• Preparation of samples (nucleic acid extraction techniques), library preparation and sequencing of different microbial pathogens
• Maintaining and applying optimised NGS methodologies
• Analysis and interpretation of genomic profiles derived from NGS experiments
• The opportunity to contribute to other biology and microbiology workflows within the company and learn the fundamentals of drug design and optimisation
• Communicating results and lab issues in a timely manner with clarity and precision, both verbally and in writing
• Keeping detailed records of high quality, reproducible experiments
• BTec/HND/BSc/MSc in job-related field of study and 2+ year of relevant laboratory experience
• Design, set up and execute experiments, follow protocols in minute details and analyse resultant data within agreed timelines
• Strong microbiology background with good appreciation of bacterial physiology and metabolic pathways
• Experience in drug discovery in the biotechnology/pharmaceutical sector preferred
• Good interpersonal/communication skills and team ethic
• Ability to work individually and as part of a team
• An adaptable team player capable of working to tight deadlines and exacting standards
• Strong organisational skills including ability to prioritise & work under pressure
• Demonstrated ability to learn quickly and apply new concepts and techniques
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and reference the job title in the subject line.
Whilst we welcome contact from individuals, speculative calls or emails from recruitment agencies will not be entertained