TITLE: Facilities Manager
SALARY: Competitive salary and benefits package, relative to qualifications and experience
CLOSING DATE: 16 August 2021
Amphista Therapeutics is a fast-growing biotech and the leading Europe-based Targeted Protein Degradation (TPD) company. Initially founded from the laboratory of Professor Alessio Ciulli (University of Dundee) our team comprises both academic and drug discovery pioneers of the TPD field and a growing R&D team focused on advancing a portfolio of medicines using our proprietary next generation TPD technologies. We recently completed an oversubscribed $53M funding round to allow us to advance our portfolio towards the clinic and greatly strengthen the development of our underlying scientific platform.
Amphista’s approaches use completely novel mechanisms to build on all the advantages of TPD while directly addressing the emerging limitations of existing TPD strategies to expand the utility of the field. In particular, we have shown our approach has the potential to be superior to all other TPD approaches (PROTACs, molecular glues etc) through our unique novel mechanisms giving expanded scope, improved druglike properties and reduced tumour resistance potential. We have a range of projects in the discovery phase, initially focused on oncology though our approach is also applicable to a range of other therapy areas including CNS disease & immunology. Amphista R&D is based in our twin research hubs in BioCity Glasgow, and Cambridge, UK from where we also work with a wide range of global collaborators and CROs.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual to join our multi-disciplinary, collaborative team as a Facilities Manager. As part of the Operations Team, you will be responsible for creating and maintaining a well-resourced, seamless working environment for all staff. The successful candidate will carry out a wide range of duties in support of both office and laboratory based groups and your contributions will directly contribute to the successful progression of our research to impact hard to treat diseases including cancer and others. You’ll provide a range of services and ensure all company areas are adequately resourced with respect to materials, reagents and consumables. The role is suitable for a full or part time post holder of at least 0.7 FTE. over 5 days. This will be an exciting opportunity to join a fast growing and dynamic company operating at the cutting edge of protein degradation to develop new medicines.
Roles and responsibilities include:
• Lead on the development and implementation of laboratory systems to support a busy R&D facility
o Ensure that laboratory areas are adequately resourced with a range of materials, solvents, reagents, consumables and appropriate PPE supplies by performing frequent stock checks and placing orders daily.
o Maintaining general laboratory cleanliness, including safe laboratory waste removal and
o Performing routine monitoring, organising servicing and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
o Maintain inventories for compounds, biological materials and consumables.
o Coordinating procurement of all consumables for the facility to support the work of the R&D team
• Working closely with Amphista scientists to keep the laboratory running smoothly at all times and suggesting areas where the efficiency of running the laboratory can be improved.
• Lead for the Operations team with external suppliers for
o utility supplies including water, gas, electricity, broadband and telephone.
o handling and organising of all goods in/out.
• First point of contact for all visitors
• Oversee laboratory safety, ensuring compliance with the company’s H&S policies and protocols.
o Maintain up to date records for MSDS and COSHH for laboratory consumables as appropriate.
o Carry out routine laboratory H&S audits
o Work with research staff to write and review laboratory SOPs.
o Maintain appropriate materials for routine cleaning of the laboratory.
• General laboratory duties including:
o Routine preparation of reagents (buffers, media) in accordance with the relevant reagent protocols
o Maintenance of tissue culture across multiple cell lines
o Running routine mycoplasma testing
o Cell line initiation, expansion and banking
• BSc or equivalent in molecular biology, biochemistry, or a related biological discipline or equivalent scientific experience in a research laboratory environment
• 2 or more years previous experience of managing the support services for an active R&D laboratory
• Cell culture experience involving maintaining multiple cell lines for extended periods.
• Strong interpersonal communication with a ‘can-do’ approach to problem solving to allow close working relationships with internal scientists as well as a wide range of suppliers and other external groups.
• Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary team, communicating effectively verbally with e.g. chemists, biologists and non-scientists alike.
• Ability to work independently, with strong initiative and drive.
• Exceptional time management, organisational and self-motivational skills, with the ability to prioritise.
• Be fun to work with
• Relevant H&S qualification and/or appetite to gain a qualification.
Applicants should submit a CV and covering letter by email to email@example.com quoting reference FacilitiesMgr0621