We are looking for a highly skilled and ambitious Scientist to join our Technology Group to support the operation and optimization of our next-generation sequencing (NGS) platforms. High-quality, consistent NGS data is critical to several processes across Mogrify. In this position, you will work across all our disease project areas to generate cell preparations from a broad range of cellular material, perform RNA extractions and prepare single cell libraries for sequencing to characterize converting cells. We further expect the successful candidate to support the continual improvement of our NGS platforms, develop new approaches to sequencing (e.g. cell hashing) and investigate new sequencing methods (e.g. spatial transcriptomics) to enhance research tools in our disease project areas.
The right candidate believes nothing is impossible, and that given the right opportunity, their hard work and adaptability will allow them to achieve the highest standards, delivering world-class science, commercial success, and patient impact. This is a permanent, full-time (37.5 hours per week) laboratory-based position with the opportunity for occasional home working when the laboratory workload allows.
At Mogrify, you’ll be joining a passionate and innovative team of world experts whose mission is to pioneer a new class of in vivo reprogramming therapies to treat degenerative disease, using our proprietary suite of platforms to direct cellular reprogramming (Rackham et al., Nature Genetics, 2016) and the maintenance of cell identity (Kamaraj et al., Cell Systems, 2020). Working in a highly dynamic and collaborative environment, you will help to develop revolutionary therapeutic modalities and address disease areas with unmet clinical need, making a difference to your colleagues, collaborators and to the patients we serve.
We believe that success is a journey undertaken by aligned individuals who respect and enjoy each other, an ethos that since its inception has enabled Mogrify to redefine what is possible for an early-stage biotech. To date, we have raised over $40 million USD funding, established a team with unparalleled track records and received recognition from industry peers for our innovation and potential to be transformative in the discovery and development of new medicines.
At Mogrify, you will:
- Conduct scientific research for the development of in vivo cell conversion therapies using our proprietary direct cellular reprogramming technology, with a focus on characterizing converted cells
- Provide scientific expertise on NGS methods for new and ongoing research projects, contributing to all phases of a project, from experimental design through to execution and reporting
- Ensure reliable processing of experimental material to achieve high-quality, consistent NGS data, including working closely with our disease project areas to develop protocols for isolating cells
- Design and perform experiments to optimize and improve NGS platform processes, including assessing new sequencing methodologies
- Troubleshoot experiments to find solutions to technical issues, including working with computational scientists to assess NGS data quality
- Use routine tissue culture techniques to maintain standard cell lines
- Keep abreast of developments in sequencing methods and technologies, including epigenomic, multi-omic and spatial technologies, and make recommendations to team leaders on technology valuable to Mogrify
- Be an active and flexible member of the Technology Group, integrating into Mogrify in vivo reprogramming projects when required
- A PhD in Cellular and Molecular biology or related scientific discipline, or equivalent experience such as a BSc/MSc with demonstrable and relevant follow-on experience
- Proficient in molecular biology techniques, with hands on experience of NGS methods preferably including single-cell RNAseq library preparation
- Basic understanding of NGS data analysis advantageous
- Experienced in tissue culture with an excellent aseptic technique
- Practical experience handling and isolating a diverse range of human cells, with experience in flow cytometry and cell sorting desirable
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deliver a consistently high level of work whilst working with little supervision on several projects.
- Team player who is organized, self-motivated with positive thinking and a ‘can-do’ attitude
Why Join Mogrify?
You will be joining a pioneering and innovative team who collaborate with shared domain expertise, intellectual curiosity, and passion for developing novel cell reprogramming therapies.
You will have the freedom and flexibility to flourish. We will work with you to create your own personal development plan and provide you with the training, support, and encouragement to continue to enhance your skills.
We look for great, not good, recognizing your efforts with upper quartile remuneration. Colleagues tell us how great our employee benefits package is, and we regularly seek feedback to ensure it remains impactful and meaningful. Our benefits include:
- Contributory pension (8%)
- Health and dental insurance
- Share options scheme
- Income protection
- Life assurance
- 25 days’ annual leave (increasing to a maximum of 30 days)
- Recognition scheme (including spot awards and peer recognition)
- Fresh fruit, biscuits and other tasty treats are always available in our open plan kitchen and breakout space
- Regular and varied, well-attended social events organized by our MOSO committee
If this sounds like you and you share our core values, and you can also bring something new to our culture, we’d love to share our journey with you. To learn more and apply, please send your CV and a covering letter stating the title of the position you are applying for to email@example.com.
Applications are reviewed and shortlisted on a rolling basis, and we reserve the right to interview, appoint and close adverts early due to the volume of applications we receive. We, therefore, encourage you to apply at the earliest opportunity to avoid disappointment as once we have closed a vacancy you will be unable to submit your application.