Evonetix is a growing biotech company which is set to revolutionize de novo gene synthesis, as needed to facilitate the fast-growing and incredibly exciting field of synthetic biology. Our technology integrates molecular biology methods and microfluidics with a novel silicon array capable of independent control of many thousands of miniaturised reaction sites. This allows massive parallelism of the DNA synthesis process and on-chip gene assembly with integrated error removal.
Our community is a closely-knit multidisciplinary and multicultural team of biologists, physicists, chemists and engineers.
We have closed our $30M Series B funding round and moved to a state-of-the-art facility in central Cambridge, allowing us to undertake significant recruitment to enable the development of our commercial desktop gene synthesiser.
Our novel approach to gene synthesis and assembly is set to revolutionise what is possible with a desktop gene synthesiser. Key to this ability is our error detecting assembly process that discards oligonucleotides with synthesis errors before they are assembled into longer strands of DNA. We have demonstrated proof of concept for the key steps within this process, and now want to integrate with our chip technology.
We are looking for innovative and motivated molecular biologists, bioengineers, biochemists or biophysicists to help developing a novel automated method for gene synthesis and assembly.
As a member of the Biology team, you will play a key role in the design, development and integration of the key biological components in our core technology. Your skills will complement the strengths and expertise of the biology, chemistry and physics teams. You will be able to work and communicate ideas across disciplines and contribute towards the development of Evonetix’s unique third-generation gene synthesis platform.
Essential skills and experience
• Educated to PhD level in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Bioengineering, Biophysics or other related subject in Biosciences
• Hands-on experience in molecular biology and biophysical methods for nucleic acid manipulation and analysis, including proficiency in hybridisation, amplification, detection, purification and quantification, ideally in an industrial setting
• Demonstrable experience in developing bioassays in microfluidic environments
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving abilities, strong attention to detail, good organisation and record keeping
• Hands-on data analysis
• Able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary team
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills at all levels
Candidates would have an advantage if they can demonstrate some of these skills:
• Experience in DNA synthesis, gene assembly and error correction methods
• Familiarity with optical systems for DNA detection and quantification
• Knowledge and experience of next generation sequencing technologies
• Experience with DNA arrays or other surface biosensors
• Experience with the Python programming language
• Experience in developing bioassays in electrophoretic environments
• Exposure to an industrial environment and an understanding of product development
This opportunity comes with an attractive benefits package which includes a contributory pension, private medical care, life assurance as well as the opportunity to partake in the share option scheme.
Please send your CV and Cover letter to https://evonetix.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=62 (Ref. BASS_20)
Applications will be evaluated as they are received; apply early to avoid disappointment