Odyssey Newcastle (previously Demuris Ltd) is part of a rapidly expanding global biopharmaceutical company located in the “Biosphere” building on the new, city centre “Newcastle Helix” site. The company will be using microbial natural products as a source of new therapeutics across various high value targets in the oncology and immunology disease areas, and is seeking to make multiple new appointments across microbiology, molecular genetics and drug discovery. You will be joining a top-flight, multi-disciplinary team driven to discover new therapeutics and progress them to the clinic and onto the market.
THE POSITION: Bioscientist: drug screening and genome sequencing
Odyssey has a unique collection of actinomycete bacteria, which it is screening for production of novel anticancer and immunomodulatory agents. In parallel, the whole strain collection is being subjected to complete genome sequencing using long read technology. You will be involved with both the drug screening and genome sequencing programmes. The role will require expertise in the handling of microorganisms, as well as biochemical methods, such as genomic DNA purification and chemical fractionation, and possibly robotic liquid handling of microplates. Candidates should possess a strong work ethic, attention to detail, awareness of health and safety issues in microbiological laboratories and the ability to work flexibly and adaptably in a busy, high-throughput microbiological laboratory.
• Isolation and characterization of novel microorganisms for expansion of the company strain collection
• Growth of microorganisms, preparation of natural product extracts and high molecular weight DNA for next gen sequencing.
• Operation of next gen sequencing apparatus (GridION) and initial data handling
• Support for large scale robotic handling of microbes and microbe extracts
• BSc in Microbiology or equivalent experience
• Experience of working with microbes and aseptic technique
• Meticulous about experimental details and lab work
• Strong data entry skills
• Strong team/collaborative skills
• A desire to transform drug discovery and help patients
• Familiarity with liquid handling systems and automation
• Familiarity with standard molecular biology techniques
• Familiarity with actinomycete bacteria
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or on the basis of disability.
We reserve the right to close this vacancy early if a suitable candidate is found.
Odyssey Newcastle, The Biosphere, Draymans Way, Newcastle Helix, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE4 5BX.
Potential candidates are invited to send a CV and covering email to Odyssey Newcastle at the following address:
Mrs Claire Ellis