Salary range £35,202 to £42,594 per annum plus benefits
We have a new and exciting opportunity for an entry level Business Development Associate to join our team. You will be an enthusiastic individual who is keen to develop a career in transferring science from the laboratory to an applied setting
Our vision is to create exceptional healthcare opportunities from outstanding science.
Our Innovation Team at the Wellcome Sanger Institute seeks to impact diverse areas of healthcare ranging from precision cancer treatment to neglected tropical disease diagnostics. We do this by finding new ways of applying and commercialising the Sanger Institute’s extraordinary scientific capabilities. We believe in thinking big, innovating together, being open and empowering others.
- You will be focused on promoting innovation in human healthcare and translating new technologies into biomedical resources for societal health benefit.
- You will be engaging with the Institute’s scientists to source projects with translational potential and developing these opportunities up to a point where they can be applied directly or developed further through partnership.
- You will have a scientific background in bioscience or bioinformatics and a keen interest in learning how to apply the Institute’s science in a commercial setting.
- You will be able to demonstrate an ability to establish working relationships and craft long-term reciprocal partnerships.
- You will be someone who enjoys the freedom of building and handling your own project portfolio.
We actively network with peers to help craft a dedicated community of professionals who are experts in translating early stage technologies and to enable us to share best practice by organising specialised courses.
You’ll be joining an upbeat and supportive team, experienced in translating genome and biodata science toward a range of opportunities in healthcare from:
- Sustainability plans for software or database products (e.g. COSMIC )
- Ambitious public-private partnerships (e.g. Open Targets)
- Technologies and reagent licenses (e.g. CRISPR library)
- Spin-outs (e.g. Microbiotica)
Our ethos is to encourage independence, knowledge-sharing and personal development.
You will be expected to travel locally and occasionally internationally in order to fulfil the accountabilities of the role
- Be qualified to PhD level in a relevant scientific subject (or have equivalent experience)
- Excellent influencing and written and verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to handle and progress multiple projects efficiently and effectively
- Knowledge of Life Science and BioData industries
- Extraordinary team ethic
- Experience of successfully translating research into commercial opportunities
- Evidence of successful project management
- Deep understanding of genetics and genomics
- Deep understanding of IP and licensing
- Awareness of software development requirements and experience of software development project management
- Proven ability to quickly grasp new scientific concepts and technologies and to identify where there may be commercial potential
- Knowledge of building technology business cases for investment
- Experience of formulation of business development plans
Our Campus: Set over 125 acres, the stunning and dynamic Wellcome Genome Campus is the biggest aggregate concentration of people in the world working on the common theme of Genomes and BioData. It brings together a diverse and exceptional scientific community, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale and imagination to pursue some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Our Benefits: Our employees have access to a comprehensive range of benefits and facilities including:
- Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme and Life Assurance
- Group Income Protection
- Private Health Insurance
- 25 days annual leave, increasing by one day a year to a maximum of 30
- Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, a childcare voucher scheme and Campus Nursery
- Two days paid Employee Volunteering Leave a year
- Employee Discount Scheme
- Campus Gym, tennis courts, cricket pitch and sports hall plus a range of dining facilities
- Active Campus Sports and Social Club
- Free Campus Bus Service
Genome Research Limited is an Equal Opportunity employer. As part of our dedication to gender equality and promoting women’s careers in science, we hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award. We will consider all qualified applicants without discrimination on grounds of disability, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity leave status, race or national or ethnic origin, age, religion or belief, gender identity or re-assignment, marital or civil partnership status, protected veteran status (if applicable) or any other characteristic protected by law.
Please include a cover letter and CV with your application