We are seeking an experienced cryo-electron microscopy scientist to join the Biomolecular Structure group at our research facility on Granta Park, Cambridge, UK, working on GPCR structure determination to enable drug discovery efforts.
At Sosei Heptares we are equipped with a ThermoFisher Glacios 200keV microscope and purpose-built sample preparation facilities.
Applicants should be proficient in the preparation and optimisation of sample grids and have expertise in the operation of new generation electron microscopes, high-resolution data collection including image processing, automated pre-processing pipelines and high-resolution model reconstruction.
A proven track record of publications related to cryo-EM applications in peer reviewed, journals is desirable.
Experience of using EM for structure determination of membrane proteins and/or low molecular weight proteins would be a distinct advantage. This is an exceptional opportunity to participate in pioneering science with an Industry-leading Drug Discovery company.
- Have received/about to receive a PhD in biochemistry/biophysics or a related discipline and hands on experience in the operation of electron microscopes.
- Be able to take responsibility for the daily operation of the electron microscope and associated equipment at Sosei Heptares, including defining best practices for instrument use and training of other users.
- Troubleshoot and optimise samples and grid preparation; collaborating with protein biochemists and protein engineers.
- Perform screening of samples and automated data-collection (EPU) on both the in-house Glacios microscope and at the Pharma Consortium Krios cryo-electron microscopes in Cambridge.
- Demonstrate in depth knowledge of software packages (for example, Relion) and their application to analyse cryo-EM image data to determine structures.
- Collaborate with other Sosei Heptares scientists on research projects and prepare and present results (written and oral) to program teams.
- Keep up to date with developments in the field, proposing and implementing changes as necessary and learning new techniques such as biophysical and computational analysis skills where appropriate.
- Have strong interpersonal skills and interact effectively with a wide range of staff and collaborators.
The successful candidate will be employed by Heptares Therapeutics Ltd, a UK wholly-owned subsidiary of Sosei Group Corporation.
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and benefits package including pension and healthcare schemes,
Applications should include a covering letter, providing a short description of the background to their interest in the role, with curriculum vitae including the names and contact details for two referees. Please send your application in pdf format, quoting reference number 2019/2BMS.
The opening date is 3rd September 2019 and the closing date for applications is 3rd October 2019.