Cambridge Start Up of the Year 2018
Bit Bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At Bit Bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Your role in our team:
We are looking for a Laboratory Supervisor with a strong background laboratory operations and Good Laboratory Practice to oversee all laboratory activities to support Production and Research Scientists in our efforts to provide the best human cells for research and drug discovery. Reporting to our Laboratory Compliance Manager, the candidate is an experienced member of the Operations team who combines supervisory skills with knowledge of safety and Good Laboratory Practice to ensure effective laboratory operations while maintaining high levels of safety, quality and service.
Your key responsibilities will include:
• To supervise and direct a team of Laboratory Support Technicians
• To oversee all activities within the laboratory
• Ensure all equipment/instrumentation is properly maintained and serviced, complying with regulatory standards to ensure proper performance and functionality
• Develop, implement and maintain equipment PPM, service and calibration process
• Establish and maintain strong relationships with the laboratory teams to understand their needs and support their workload, challenges and constraints
• Implement industry best practice (LEAN, 5S, Kanban) to ensure the laboratory is adequately stocked with consumables, reagent and in-house aliquots in a clearly organised and accessible manner
• Monitor work patterns and equipment usage trends
• To promote SHE, H&S awareness across the science and laboratory functions; to promote green lab and 3R’s
• Identify training gaps, co-ordinate laboratory QEHS and equipment training
• Create and report monthly lab metrics
• To author and approve SOPs relating to laboratory activities
You have …
• Bachelors’ degree in a scientific discipline or equivalent experience
• Significant experience working in a cell culture laboratory that includes time spent in a commercial/industry environment
• Proven supervisory experience
• Strong communication skills with the ability to interact with both internal and external stakeholders at all levels
• Strong organisational and time management skills with the ability to prioritise and multi-task
With essential experience of…
• Controlled or quality driven environments
• Excellent aseptic technique
• The scientific knowledge required to analyse lab data and provide support to support to scientists
• Knowledge of and practical experience with Kanban
• Familiarity with LEAN principles (6 sigma) and 5S
• Experience in some form of GxP or familiarity with GMP
• Experience of setting up new processes and continuous improvement
• An understanding of the crossover/interface between R&D and manufacturing
• Previous line management experience
• Proactive and self-motivated. Keen to learn
• Flexible with the ability to adapt to change
• Sincere and secure
• Astute and persuasive
More reasons to join us:
Bit Bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support Bit Bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org