Job Title: Laboratory Technician
Based at: Norwich Research Park
Contract type: Permanent, full-time
Leaf Expression Systems (Leaf) is a contract research and development organisation working to serve global Life Sciences, Agriculture, Personal Care and Food Industries by producing high value, safe proteins, and small biomolecules in our proprietary plant-based system. We pride ourselves on being experts in the expression and production of proteins, including antibodies, allergens, enzymes, cytokines & growth factors, and virus-like particles. Our high-quality plant-mediated transient expression products are made using our SupraVec® system.
At Leaf, we have an exciting opportunity for an enthusiastic, team-oriented individual, with a keen interest in science, to come and work within a successful biotechnology company as a Laboratory Technician, providing support to the Leaf team as the business grows.
You will be working at our state-of-the art Norwich based facility, and your primary role as a Laboratory Technician will be to support Leaf’s Research and Development Team in the production of high value plant expressed proteins and metabolites. This will involve performing established procedures and helping develop new protocols. You will be required to assist the operations of other team members and maintain laboratory areas.
You will support laboratory work by preparing solutions, making and sterilising media, checking pipette accuracy, and performing balance calibrations. You will be responsible for collecting and cleaning glassware as well as disposal of waste from the laboratories and growing facility. It is also expected that you will help with experimental work including microbiology, plant infiltrations, downstream purification, and a variety of other techniques depending on the requirements of the work, for which full training will be provided. You will be involved in all aspects of plant production required for ongoing and new projects and this will include growing and the ongoing care of living plants.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Support other members of the Leaf team.
2. Plant production.
3. Maintain laboratory, equipment, and working areas.
4. Follow SOPs accurately and work safely following COSHH guidelines.
5. Write batch reports and prepare experimental data for reporting.
6. Undertake Health & Safety training.
The above duties and responsibilities are not an exhaustive list, and you may be required to undertake any other reasonable duties compatible with your experience and competencies. This description may vary from time to time to reflect changing business requirements.
1. Accountable to: Laboratory Manager
2. Internal: Leaf Team
Qualifications and Experience
1. A-levels or an equivalent qualification (e.g., NVQ Level 3) in a science-related subject are essential.
2. Previous laboratory experience in either research or industry is desirable.
3. Knowledge of microbiology techniques, practical or theoretical, is desirable.
Skills and Attributes
2. Methodical and organised.
3. Willing to help as and when required.
4. Committed to learning new skills.
5. Good record keeping.
6. Work well as part of a team but can work independently.
7. IT skills: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
Like everyone else on the team you will benefit from:
• 25 days holiday
• Participation in the company pension scheme
All applicants must be eligible to work in the UK.
How to Apply
Please send your CV and a cover letter to Louise Moffat (Laboratory Manager) at email@example.com
Application deadline: 03 December 2023