OMass Therapeutics is an early stage drug discovery company specialized in applying state of the art biophysical platform technologies to discover therapies for severe unmet medical needs in immunology and genetically defined disorders. The company was founded by Professor Dame Carol Robinson to leverage her pioneering work in native mass spectrometry, in studies of dynamic protein assemblies, to characterise challenging drug targets including membrane proteins. The high resolution of our biophysical platform offers an unprecedented advantage in the detection of drug leads.
The company vision is to build an integrated drug discovery company, with biophysical platform technologies at its core, and develop a pipeline of novel therapies. Our ambition is to develop and ultimately commercialise our products.
Following successful Series A funding, the company is expanding significantly in different areas. This is an excellent time to join a dynamic growing company.
OMass Therapeutics is inviting applications for the position of Membrane Protein Biochemist (Research Scientist/Senior Scientist; depending on experience) to work within the Biology Mass Spectrometry team. The company offers a thriving and creative environment for a well-suited candidate to become an integral part of our future vision.
The successful candidate will possess experience in membrane protein expression and purification. Experience in handling protein samples and characterising expression levels and activity is key. You will be responsible for developing methods to isolate proteins of interest and utilising state-of-the-art MS based methods to (i) provide a greater understanding of membrane proteins of interest and (ii) contribute to the development of a bespoke discovery platform for challenging drug targets. Experience with biophysical analysis and assay development would be advantageous, along with a desire to develop skills in advanced MS techniques. As part of the Biology MS team, the ability to problem-solve and develop innovative solutions within projects is a key attribute required for the role. The role is based in our Oxford site.
Applications to be received by Tuesday 26th October 2021
Essential Experience and Skills
• A PhD or equivalent in a relevant area of biology
• Experience in a variety of molecular biology and cell culture techniques
• Experience in membrane protein expression methods in mammalian and insect cells
• Experience in membrane protein purification
• Analytical thinking and good problem-solving skills to overcome technical issues
• Excellent organizational and time management skills as well as the ability to work to strict deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to work flexibly within a team, as well as being highly self-motivated and able to work independently
Preferred Experience and Skills
• Experience in native MS highly desirable but not essential
• Experience in membrane protein analysis using biophysical and/or structural biology techniques
• Experience in membrane protein assay development
• Cloning of membrane protein plasmid constructs and expression in insect and mammalian cells using a variety of transfection and infection methods
• Characterization of expression levels in membrane and in solubilised form using binding assays
• Characterization of protein stability in solubilised form using a variety of biochemical and biophysical techniques to inform purification process
• Construct engineering to optimise expression and monodispersity of membrane proteins
• Optimisation of solubilisation conditions to maximise membrane protein stability
• Purification of membrane proteins and biochemical/biophysical characterisation using a range of analytical techniques to provide high quality protein for various downstream applications
• Establish workstreams and bespoke assays using native mass spectrometry to characterize proteins and protein complexes. On the job training will be provided in the absence of significant prior experience.
• Work closely with mass spectrometry scientists, protein biochemists, structural biologists, medicinal/computational chemists, and pharmacologists to help advance different projects
• Maintain detailed laboratory records and, when required, contribute to the preparation of patents and publications
• Remain up to date with the state-of-the-art of the field
• Communicate research and data to broader project teams and provide expert opinion on its interpretation.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Competitive salary and comprehensive employee benefits
OMass Therapeutics values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity, we also have full responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to work and live in the UK.