Principal Scientist, CNS full time – Cambridge, UK
Mission Therapeutics is an early-stage drug development company targeting the ubiquitin pathway for the treatment of neurodegenerative disease, rare mitochondrial diseases and fibrosis. The Company has built a leading platform for the discovery and development of first-in-class, small molecule drugs that selectively target deubiquitylating enzymes (DUBs) – an emerging drug class that is attracting significant commercial interest in the area of protein homeostasis.
We are looking for a driven, organised and proactive individual to join our Translational Sciences team at our Cambridge, UK based facilities. Mission Therapeutics is ideally situated on the Babraham Research Campus at the heart of Europe’s largest biotechnology cluster.
The primary responsibility of the Principal Scientist is to lead the translational strategy of our main mitochondrial DUB target being developed for Parkinson’s Disease. The position holder will drive ongoing pharmacology studies towards candidate selection and define/execute PK/PD strategy in support of the clinical plan.
Key responsibilities of the role will include
• Design and delivery of pharmacology/ pharmacodynamics studies, with strong experience in experimental systems relevant to Parkinson’s Disease and mitochondrial biology/function.
• Design and oversight of in vitro/in vivo studies conducted at Mission
• Oversight and management of ongoing and new/planned studies at both academic and contract research organisations.
• Lead the translational biomarker strategy
o Identify candidate PD markers in based on mechanism and disease understanding e.g. imaging, e-phys
o Utilize preclinical in vitro and in vivo systems to establish PK/PD strategy for use in early clinical development
• Effective collaboration management.
• Critically analyse and interpret data, define realistic timelines for studies and meet delivery deadlines.
• Execute high impact studies within an extremely fast-paced and collaborative environment.
• Delivery of pharmacology/pharmacodynamics research reports for inclusion in regulatory documentation.
• (Potential for support identification and validation of novel therapeutic targets and delivery of new targets into the pipeline.)
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Ph.D. with at least 6 years of relevant pharmaceutical industry experience.
• Experience working in cross-functional and matrixed Research and Translational teams.
• Experience in advancement of compounds through project milestones (i.e. candidate selection) as pharmacology line representative.
• Established scientific reputation in the field of Parkinson’s Disease, as evidenced by publication track record.
• Deep expertise in cell biology and genetics underlying neurodegenerative diseases, in particular Parkinson’s Disease, and extensive knowledge of the drug discovery/development space in this area.
• Previous experience investigating one or more of the following areas: mitochondrial dysfunction, protein mis-folding and aggregation, protein spreading and seeding, cellular proteostasis mechanisms, neuroinflammation from a drug discovery perspective, with an emphasis on breakthrough innovation and leveraging human genetic validation.
• Use of relevant in vitro and in vivo models and experience of working with CROs to deliver in vitro and in vivo studies.
• Able to establish, maintain and manage effective collaborations with external partners.
• Previous experience of effective team leading and line management is highly desirable.
• Excellent communication skills at both detailed and summarised levels.
• Team player with ability to conduct independent research.
• Able to quickly prioritise deliverables according to team and business requirements.
We offer a competitive salary along with a contributory pension scheme and other excellent benefits.
The closing date for applications is 21st February 2020.
In order to comply with UK employment legislation, all applicants for positions at Mission must have the right to work in the UK. In the event that a job offer is made, you will be required to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK before you commence employment with Mission.
All applications received will be managed in accordance with our Job Applicant Privacy Notice available to view on the Careers page of our website www.missiontherapeutics.com
No agencies, thank you.
If you would like to apply for the position, please send your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com.