Sosei Heptares (the corporate brand of Sosei Group Corporation) is a research-focused biotechnology group, publicly listed in Japan (TSE: 4565) and with sites in Tokyo, London and Cambridge (UK).
Our mission is to make a significant contribution to improving the quality of life and health of people around the world. To achieve this, we will discover, design and develop the most innovative and effective medicines for patients worldwide, through our world-leading patent-protected StaR® technology and platform.
Our primary focus is the discovery and early development of new medicines originating from our proprietary G Protein-Coupled Receptor (GPCR)-targeted StaR® technology and Structure-Based Drug Design (SBDD) platform capabilities. We are advancing a broad and deep pipeline of novel medicines across multiple therapeutic areas, including CNS, immuno-oncology, gastroenterology, inflammation and other rare/specialty indications.
We have established partnerships with some of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies, including Abbvie, AstraZeneca, Genentech (Roche), Novartis, Pfizer and Takeda; and additionally, with multiple emerging biotechnology companies.
Sosei Heptares has approximately 147 employees based at its new R&D research facility at Granta Park. The size of the company ensures a transparent linkage between all activities from early discovery through to clinical development.
We are currently seeking an experienced molecular biologist to join the Protein Engineering group working on GPCR structure determination to enable drug discovery efforts.
The successful candidate will be expected to work independently, and the role will include the following responsibilities:
• Cloning of plasmid constructs for expression;
• Expression of GPCRs in insect, yeast and human cells;
• Characterization of GPCRs in membrane and in solubilised form using radioligand and fluorescent binding assays;
• Setting up and optimising thermal stability assays;
• Mutant library generation and directed evolution of proteins;
• Screening for stabilising mutations using our proprietary platform to create StaR proteins;
• Construct engineering to optimise expression;
• Purification and biochemical characterisation of GPCRs using a range of techniques such as size exclusion chromatography
• Careful documentation of experimental work; and,
• Work closely with molecular biologists, protein expression scientists, crystallographers and pharmacologists to help advance the project.
This is an exceptional opportunity to participate in pioneering science with an Industry-leading Drug Discovery company.
Our preferred candidate will have the following profile:
• PhD in a relevant area of biology, although those with a BSc or MSc and laboratory experience may be considered;
• Ability to work flexibly within a team, whilst being highly self-motivated and able to work independently;
• Analytical thinking and good problem-solving skills;
• Excellent organisational and time-management skills, as well as the ability to work to strict deadlines;
• Fluency in oral and written English is essential; and
• Relevant lab experience would be preferred including:
o Experience in a variety of molecular biology and cell culture techniques;
o Experience in membrane protein expression methods in mammalian, insect and yeast cells;
o Experience in membrane protein purification;
o Experience in flow cytometry
o Experience in GPCR in vitro pharmacology and GPCR biochemical assays is desirable.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate proof of the right to work in the United Kingdom.
The successful candidate will be employed by Heptares Therapeutics Ltd, a UK wholly owned subsidiary of Sosei Group Corporation.
We offer a competitive salary, commensurate with qualifications and experience, and benefits package including pension and healthcare schemes.
Applications should include a covering letter, providing a short description of the background to their interest in the role, with curriculum vitae including the names and contact details for two referees. Please apply through our on-line jobs portal (https://soseiheptares.com/careers-2.html ) with your application in pdf format, quoting reference number 2020-1PE.
The closing date for applications is 4th September 2020.
Strictly No Agencies