OMass Therapeutics is an early stage drug discovery company specialized in applying state of the art biophysical platform technologies to discover therapies for severe unmet medical needs in immunology and genetically defined disorders. The company was founded by Professor Dame Carol Robinson to leverage her pioneering work in native mass spectrometry, in studies of dynamic protein assemblies, to characterise challenging drug targets including membrane proteins. The high resolution of our biophysical platform offers an unprecedented advantage in the detection of drug leads.
The company vision is to build an integrated drug discovery company, with biophysical platform technologies at its core, and develop a pipeline of novel therapies. Our ambition is to develop and ultimately commercialise our products.
Following successful Series A funding, the company is expanding significantly in different areas. This is an excellent time to join a dynamic growing company.
OMass Therapeutics is inviting applications for the position of Medicinal Chemist (Senior Scientist II / Principle Scientist depending on experience). This is an exciting opportunity to participate in cutting edge drug discovery and undertake an extremely dynamic and diverse role as OMass seeks to build internal synthetic and medicinal chemistry capabilities. The company offers a thriving and creative environment for a well-suited candidate to be exposed to the drug discovery and development process and state-of-the-art technology developments. You will acquire extensive knowledge of the company’s operations and become an integral part of our future vision.
The successful candidate will have expert synthetic organic chemistry and medicinal chemistry knowledge and be passionate about applying these skills to the discovery of novel medicines. You will have a proven track record of scientific achievement and of delivering high quality candidates into development. The role is based in our Oxford site.
Applications to be received by 10th April 2020.
Key responsibilities include:
1. Promote and maintain the highest levels of scientific excellence in both medicinal and synthetic chemistry, to help deliver OMass’ pipeline objectives
2. With the senior discovery leadership team define project-related medicinal chemistry strategy and overall strategy for drug discovery projects from Target ID through to candidate nomination
3. Contribute and develop OMass’ native mass spectrometry platform for membrane protein drug discovery
4. Collaborate closely with our computational chemistry and project teams to contribute towards OMass’ pipeline objectives
5. Provide technical guidance to both internal and external chemistry teams
6. Contribute to the critical evaluation and selection of new targets
7. Contribute to the strategic planning, compiling and writing of chemical patents
8. Publish science in high quality journals and publications
9. Give presentations on OMass’ projects both at internal meetings and externally at conferences
10. Foster collaborations with academia to help ensure that the Chemistry team operates at the highest levels of scientific excellence in both medicinal and synthetic chemistry
• Ph.D. in synthetic organic chemistry or medicinal chemistry is required
• A significant amount of relevant industry experience in drug discovery across multiple projects from hit finding to candidate selection
• Excellent understanding of related scientific disciplines that are relevant to drug discovery and early development such as target validation, pharmacology, SBDD, ADME, large scale synthesis, structural biology, drug safety/toxicology, formulation and IP
• Strong record of publication in peer reviewed journals and patents
• High level of analytical and problem-solving skills, and the ability for lateral thinking
• State of the art organic synthesis knowledge, purification and analytical characterization including HPLC, MS, NMR, and biophysical methods
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to collaborate successful across the OMass team
• Experience of working across multiple target-types including GPCRs, solute carries and other membrane proteins
• Experience of project leadership
• A strong knowledge of medicinal chemistry design principles, including structure-based drug design and the influence of physiochemical properties
• A creative and strategic thinker who can enthuse the chemistry group and wider OMass team with innovative ideas
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Competitive salary and comprehensive employee benefits
Applicants should provide a full CV including contact details for 2 referees and a cover letter describing their interest for, and compatibility with, the position.
OMass Therapeutics values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity, we also have full responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to work and live in UK. All applications should be sent to email@example.com.