Reading Scientific Services Ltd (RSSL) is a cutting-edge Contract Research Organisation (CRO), providing research, analysis and consultancy to the pharmaceutical, healthcare and food sectors. Whether we are creating new products, validating medicines or solving investigations, we take pride in being a leader in our field, serving clients from across 60 countries.
In 2019, we were recognised as OBN’s Best CRO, Women in Business Enlightened Employer and Business of the Year award winners.
Enriched by our parent company Mondelēz International, our diverse team includes 22 nationalities from 300 members, creating a family feel as we strive towards our mission of science enhancing lives.
You are an internally recognized expert in analytical sciences and an effective leader of cross-functional teams. Working with cross-functional stakeholders, you plan and technically lead complex analytical programs, interpret findings and define actionable next steps. You also review, approve, and effectively communicate significant technical/scientific results and regularly interact with key senior stakeholders.
About this role
This Technical Specialist, focused on Process Engineering in the Food R&D sector is a senior position which provides leadership to the business in the form of technical expertise instead of line management.
As part of the overall Physical Sciences team, it will provide expert technical leadership and scientific consultancy specialising in physical sciences or material characterisation (e.g. flow of fluids and powders, heat and mass transfer and texture and mechanical breakage) with an in-depth knowledge of process engineering. This knowledge is used to drive improved technology and translate concepts into creation of new products, improving production processes and solving manufacturing problems.
The Technical Specialist will supervise complex projects including a practical input where required, keep abreast of scientific developments, represent and influence at relevant external industry events and ensure our services remain leading edge across various industries. It will demonstrate inspirational technical leadership to develop the next generation of physical scientists using a range of on the job training, coaching and mentoring activities as appropriate.
Technical - general
- Provide expert technical consultancy in physical and/or material sciences and process engineering and using technical expertise to identify, develop and create new business opportunities.
- Apply broad technical and in-depth knowledge to complex problem solving.
- Design, plan and manage laboratory projects to support new product development, improve processes technology and resolve industry crises in the food and pharmaceutical sectors.
- Expert technical influence through participation in external scientific institutions, government bodies and industry relevant committees.
- Evaluate emerging analytical services in your field of expertise and make recommendations to ensure Mondelēz / RSSL to deliver cutting edge solutions to manufacturing issues.
- Identify and establish collaboration with external partners and suppliers.
- Perform data review and assist with interpretation of results for complex/multi-technique analysis.
- Ensure analysis is conducted to appropriate quality standards (UKAS, GMP, and/or MDLZ quality systems).
- Write, collate, review, authorise and capture scientific reports.
- Train and supervise junior staff in routine and novel investigations, methods and data interpretation.
- Portfolio responsibility for projects or technically complex multidisciplinary projects across different groups.
Communication, Influence and Leadership
- To liaise with clients, business development and line management to ensure effective communication of complex project proposals and results.
- Provide expert technical advice and decisions, lead client and stake holders meetings as required.
- Articulate technical problems and define approaches for resolution with the right level of detail and depth for the target audience.
- Deliver scientific presentations to senior technical stakeholders e.g. directors, vice presidents.
- Influence internally and externally on relevant industry & government bodies.
- Make an authoritative and expert scientific contribution to business strategy, and provide strong technical and regulatory leadership.
- Critical Thinking and deductive reasoning – use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems and produce answers that make sense.
- Strategic capability: engage with the Mondelez Global Analytical Leadership Team and RSSL Leadership Team strategies.
- Build effective technical communities of practice and advocate ideas & knowledge sharing to build in setting up.
Education and Technical:
- PhD or equivalent expertise in a relevant scientific discipline
- Proven post-graduate track record and relevant laboratory experience.
- In-depth knowledge of both technical area of expertise & business environment including regulatory requirements.
- Experience of application of analytical techniques in manufacturing environment for the characterization of food/pharma systems.
- Good knowledge of laboratory quality and accreditation systems (e.g GMP/UKAS) .
- Good knowledge of statistical frameworks (e.g. minitab, multivariate analysis, process capability assessment).
Leadership and supervision
- Effective Technical leadership to drive complex developmental projects that yield outstanding results, realise business initiatives and deliver technical programmes which meet strategic objectives.
- High degree of technical independence, working with limited management direction.
- Strong networking, influencing & cross-selling skills, ability to develop commercial relationships.
- Ability to manage own workload and assist in planning complex projects with junior staff.
- Executional excellence & drive for results – inspires action in others: engaging, setting priorities and motivating individuals and teams by being inclusive/leading from the front.
This position is based at the Reading site and it expected that the job holder may be required to travel either within the UK and overseas.
Company: Reading Scientific Services Limited
To apply for this role, please click here: https://wd3.myworkdaysite.com/en-US/recruiting/mdlz/External/job/Reading...
To view all RSSL vacancies, please click here: https://www.rssl.com/careers/current-vacancies