Scientist – Lateral Flow Assays
Application deadline: 16th August, 2020
Start date: September/October 2020
Applied Biotech Ltd is a fast-growing biotechnology company developing and manufacturing innovative diagnostic assays. We are looking to manufacture Lateral Flow kits for various biomarkers at our Cambridge Science Park facility. The successful candidate will be responsible for assay development, validation and transfer to manufacturing. We are seeking a highly motivated and dynamic candidate with a passion for the job. You will work closely with a diverse team. The role will require a driven and efficient approach to meet deadlines within an exciting new project developing early cancer diagnosis tools.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
• Actively support collaboration with external development partners
• Develop new lateral flow assay formats to support novel assays
• Optimize lateral flow assay designs to maximize production, performance and cost efficiency.
• Transfer assay design to manufacturing
• Troubleshoot and/or performance or production related issues
• Prepare presentations, reports, research, and other deliverables related to LFA development activities performed
• Periodic weekend work and long days may be required
• BSc in Biology, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or Biological/Biomedical Engineering
• Working experience with all aspects of biological assay development and operation, specifically Lateral Flow Assay development, manufacture and design
• Excellent writing and communication skills are required, and the ability to interact well in group meetings/working environments
• Laser-like attention to detail, ability to follow complex protocols accurately and reproducibly.
• Keen observer, able to identify and capture critical insights associated with experiments/protocols
• Takes ownership of tasks and problems and provides solutions
• Self-starter with a ferocious work ethic who can work independently, but who also functions well in a collaborative team environment
• Demonstrated soft skills: able to maintain excellent rapport with colleagues when facing tight timelines
Ideally, you also have these skills/experiences/attributes (but it is ok if you don't!):
• Experience and expertise with rapid prototyping, machining, or laboratory automation
• Experience working in start-up environments
• Familiarity with IVDR / FDA approval process
• Familiar with statistical analyses using software such as SAS, SPSS, R or Minitab.
You identify with the following core values:
• Efficient & Speedy - you get work done
• Intellectually Curious - you are thoughtful & inquisitive; people enjoy working with you because they learn from you
• Mission-Driven & Committed - you are passionate about the company's purpose and are immensely productive
• Team Oriented - you celebrate and take joy in the success of others on the team