OMass Therapeutics is an early stage drug discovery company specialized in applying state of the art biophysical platform technologies to discover therapies for severe unmet medical needs in immunology and genetically defined disorders. The company was founded by Professor Dame Carol Robinson to leverage her pioneering work in native mass spectrometry, in studies of dynamic protein assemblies, to characterise challenging drug targets including membrane proteins. The high resolution of our biophysical platform offers an unprecedented advantage in the detection of drug leads.
The company vision is to build an integrated drug discovery company, with biophysical platform technologies at its core, and develop a pipeline of novel therapies. Our ambition is to develop and ultimately commercialise our products.
Following successful Series A funding, the company is expanding significantly in different areas. This is an excellent time to join a dynamic growing company.
OMass Therapeutics is inviting applications for the position of Scientist I / Scientist II to work within the Biochemistry and Structural Biology team focused on the expression and purification of membrane proteins for drug discovery. The company offers a thriving and creative environment for a well-suited candidate to become an integral part of our future vision.
The successful candidate will possess extensive experience in large-scale protein expression and purification, preferably also with membrane protein purification. Experience in handling protein samples and characterising expression levels and activity is key. The role is exclusively research based and as such, the ability to problem solve and develop innovative solutions within projects is a key attribute required for the role. The role is based in our Oxford site.
Applications to be received by 30th July 2021
• A degree in a relevant area of biology (BSc, MSc or PhD), ideally in Biochemistry or Molecular Biology
• Proven experience with standard protein purification techniques (affinity chromatography, size-exclusion chromatography, ion exchange chromatography)
• Profound knowledge about construct design for recombinant expression and purification of human proteins
• Experience with molecular cloning techniques/site-directed mutagenesis
• Analytical thinking and good problem-solving skills to overcome technical challenges
• Excellent organizational and time management skills as well as the ability to work to strict deadlines
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to work flexibly within a team as well as being highly self-motivated and work independently
• Experience in protein expression in mammalian and insect cells
• Familiarity with Baculovirus and BacMam System
• Experience in membrane protein purification and reconstitution into liposomes for functional assays or animal immunization
• Construct design and engineering to optimise expression and monodispersity of membrane proteins
• Protein expression in insect and mammalian cells using a variety of transfection and transduction methods
• Small-scale high-throughput screening of purification conditions, eg. for optimisation of solubilisation conditions to maximise membrane protein stability
• Large-scale purification of membrane proteins and biochemical/biophysical characterisation using a range of analytical techniques to provide high quality protein for different downstream applications, including MS analysis and structure determination
• Recombinant expression and purification of camelid nanobodies in bacterial expression systems
• Work closely with mass spec scientists, structural biologists, medicinal chemists, and pharmacologists to help advance different projects
• Maintain detailed laboratory records and keep up to date with relevant literature
OMass Therapeutics values diversity and is committed to equality of opportunity, we also have full responsibility to ensure that all employees are eligible to work and live in UK.
Job Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: Competitive salary and comprehensive employee benefits