Mission Therapeutics is an early-stage drug development company targeting the ubiquitin pathway for the treatment of neurodegenerative disease, rare mitochondrial diseases and fibrosis. The Company has built a leading platform for the discovery and development of first-in-class, small molecule drugs that selectively target deubiquitylating enzymes (DUBs) – an emerging drug class that is attracting significant commercial interest in the area of protein homeostasis.
We are looking for a driven, organised and proactive individual to join our Translational Sciences team at our Cambridge, UK based facilities. Mission Therapeutics is ideally situated in a fantastic new facility on the Babraham Research Campus at the heart of Europe’s largest biotechnology cluster.
The primary responsibility of the Senior / Principal Scientist is to work with in-depth knowledge of the cellular, molecular and genetic mechanisms underlying neurodegeneration, in particular for Parkinson’s Disease, and drive ongoing efforts directed towards developing new and effective therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases. The position holder will utilise their knowledge of translatable markers/endpoints for use in non-clinical in vivo and in vitro models, to support our lead preclinical program and ongoing pharma collaborations focussed on neurodegeneration. The role is predominantly lab-based with the opportunity to also input to and oversee experiments at CRO and academic partners. CNS is a growth area for Mission and the role would suit a candidate keen to contribute data from the bench immediately, whilst making significant intellectual contribution to CNS projects in Mission, and with a view to developing and progressing in concert with the growth of CNS research in the company.
Key responsibilities of the role will include
• Design and delivery of pharmacology/ pharmacodynamics studies, including ex vivo analysis and translatable cellular assay systems.
• Develop and implement new translatable in vitro cell model systems including iPSC-derived CNS cell populations.
• Contribute to oversight and management of ongoing and new/planned studies at both academic and contract research organisations.
• Contribute CNS pharmacology expertise across pipeline projects.
• Identify, validate and develop approaches for prosecuting new drug targets in neurodegenerative diseases.
• Effective collaboration management.
• Critically analyse and interpret data, define realistic timelines for studies and meet delivery deadlines.
• Execute high impact studies within an extremely fast-paced and collaborative environment.
• Delivery of pharmacology/pharmacodynamics research reports.
• Support identification and validation of novel therapeutic targets and delivery of new targets into the pipeline.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
• Ph.D. in neurology/neuroscience with at least 3 years of relevant pharmaceutical industry / postdoctoral experience.
• Experience of studying translational markers/assessments (e.g. e-phys, fluid markers) relevant for CNS indications.
• Established scientific reputation in the field of neurodegenerative diseases, in particular Parkinson’s Disease, as evidenced by publication track record.
• Deep expertise in cell biology and genetics underlying neurodegenerative diseases, in particular Parkinson’s Disease, with knowledge of the drug discovery/development space in this area a plus.
• Practical experience investigating one or more of the following areas in vivo: mitochondrial dysfunction, protein mis-folding and aggregation, protein spreading and seeding, cellular proteostasis mechanisms, neuroinflammation.
• Excellent cell biology and western blotting skills including antibody validation for westerns and ELISAs.
• Practical experience with CNS cell populations and iPSC-derived cells.
• Experience working in cross-functional and matrixed Research and Translational teams is highly desirable
• Use of relevant in vitro and in vivo models and experience of working with CROs to deliver in vitro and in vivo studies.
• Able to establish, maintain and manage effective collaborations with external partners.
• Excellent communication skills at both detailed and summarised levels.
• Team player with ability to conduct independent research.
• Able to quickly prioritise deliverables according to team and business requirements.
We offer a competitive salary along with a contributory pension scheme and other excellent benefits.
The closing date for applications is Friday 9th April 2021.
In order to comply with UK employment legislation, all applicants for positions at Mission must have the right to work in the UK. In the event that a job offer is made, you will be required to provide evidence of your right to work in the UK before you commence employment with Mission.
All applications received will be managed in accordance with our Job Applicant Privacy Notice available to view on the Careers page of our website www.missiontherapeutics.com
No agencies, thank you.
If you would like to apply for the position, please send your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com.