Cambridge Start Up of the Year 2018
Bit.bio is an award-winning spinout from the University of Cambridge. Our breakthrough technology combines synthetic and stem cell biology for the precise, efficient and consistent reprogramming of human cells used in research, drug discovery, and cell therapy. At bit.bio, we are passionate about engineering human cells that will enable the medicine of the future. To do this we need talented and curious people who want to make an impact on the future of science and therapeutics.
As a team of individuals, we value science, collaboration, openness, curiosity and creativity. We are united by trust and respect for each other.
Your role in our team:
We are looking for a Senior Scientist with a solid understanding of the molecular principles underlying the specification of glial lineages, especially astrocytes, and experience with the generation of these cell types from iPSCs. The candidate will work with a team of R&D scientists, manufacturing scientists, commercial teams and external collaborators to support our efforts to develop and validate a range of new human iPSC-derived neurons. The candidate will be expected to lead a project and possibly a team of scientists in driving the project to success.
Your key responsibilities will include:
● Advising, designing and executing reprogramming strategies to obtain pure and well-defined populations of human iPSC-derived glia cells.
● Supporting collaboration with external partners to develop and characterise new cell types and disease models
● Supervising scientists of various grades to deliver R&D programs in a timely manner.
● Working closely with the project management, product development team and product management to meet new product launch timelines.
● Supporting the company in drafting and putting together proposals at various stages of the pipeline
● Have a PhD in human pluripotent stem cell derived models for neurobiology, and an additional 3 years of experience with iPSC-derived glia cells in an academic or industrial setting.
● Have experience in supervising and line managing a team of scientists and understanding of how to motivate a high performing team
● Are driven by scientific excellence and are a keen experimentalist with strong attention to details and organisational skills.
● Have hands on experience in collaborative project management.
● Are a keen team player who will enjoy working at the interface of the wider science team to support the company’s cell type development efforts, with all the multitasking and communication skills that it requires.
● Enjoy tackling research challenges through critical thinking and inventiveness, demonstrating the highest scientific rigour and work standards.
● Are comfortable and used to working to tight timelines and managing workload and priorities.
Essential for the role:
● Broad knowledge about the molecular mechanisms that define cellular identities in the CNS and the use of iPSC-derived glia cells in disease modelling.
● Supervisory and training experience
● Published relevant work in peer-reviewed journals, preferably first or last authorships
● Highly skilled in culturing human pluripotent stem cells and iPSC-derived glia cells, preferably astrocytes
● Experience in cell characterisation methods (ICC, qPCR and other assays)
● Project management experience with internal and external stakeholders
● NGS experience (experimental design, library preparation and/or data analysis)
● Functional characterisation of glia cells
● Extensive network in the field of neuroscience to facilitate collaborations with external partners
More reasons to join us:
Bit.bio provides a vibrant and dynamic work environment in an exciting, fast-moving time for biology. We work with cutting edge technologies and with our world-leading scientific advisory board. We conduct pioneering work with real-world impact.
We trust our people to make significant contributions early on with opportunities to be involved in projects that are key to the success and growth of our young company. We invest in people, creating opportunities for personal development in an inclusive multi-skilled team with ambitious goals that provide opportunities to learn on the job from each other.
Creativity and open minds are encouraged for everyone to contribute to the success of the company.
To support bit.bio staff and our culture further, we also offer a competitive salary, highly competitive benefits package including pension contribution scheme as well as health and life insurance.
To be part of our dynamic, growing start-up team and share our vision to build together the leading cell coding company, please send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org