New Path Molecular is a spin out from the group of Prof Steve Ley at the University of Cambridge. We are a small, innovative chemistry company specialising in machine assisted synthesis, including flow chemistry. We are looking for talented synthetic chemists to join our chemistry team in Cambridge working on method development and synthesis, in batch and flow, of functional molecules as part of our research collaborations with pharma and agrichem.
• Execute experimental work in the laboratory to progress projects according to agreed work plans
• Liaise with the CTO to progress projects effectively
• Maintain accurate records of experimental work
• Assist with production of customer reports and presentations
• Report to collaborators verbally in person or by telephone or video conference
• Assist in the safe running of the laboratory
• Assist with the efficient running of the research laboratory including ordering, management, storage and disposal of chemicals and consumables
• Continually update knowledge and understanding in field or specialism
• Translate knowledge of advances in the subject areas into research activity
• Develop research objectives and proposals for own research
• Write up research work for presentation and publication
• Manage own research and administrative activities
Education & qualifications
The successful candidate must have, or be about to complete, a PhD in synthetic organic chemistry.
Specialist knowledge & skills
The role holder would possess some research experience with sufficient breadth/depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline and of research methods and techniques to work within an established research programme.
• Experience in multi-step synthesis
• Experience in isolation and purification techniques for chemical sysnthesis
• Experience with the use of HPLC-MS and nmr to analyse reaction outcomes
• Experience of managing own workload
• Experience in reaction optimisation and flow chemistry is desirable although training will be given.
Interpersonal & communication skills
Self-motivation, team player and strong communication skills
Terms and Conditions
Location: Babraham Research Campus, Cambridge UK
The Babraham Research Campus is considered to be one of the UK’s leading campus' to support early-stage bioscience enterprise and is distinct in its co-location of bioscience companies with the Babraham Institute. World class research and business come together to promote innovation and strengthen links between academia and the commercial world. For more information see https://www.babraham.com/
Working pattern: Monday – Friday
Hours of work 37.5 hours a week
Length of appointment: permanent
Probation period: 3 months
Annual leave: 20 days plus public holidays
Pension eligibility: New Path Molecular Auto Enrol Pension Scheme
Pre-employment Check Requirements
We have a legal responsibility to ensure that you have the right to work in the UK before you can start working for us. If you do not have the right to work in the UK already, any offer of employment we make to you will be conditional upon you gaining it.
To submit an application for this vacancy, please send a c.v. and covering letter outlining your suitability for this position to HR@newpathmolecular.com.
We are committed to a proactive approach to equality, which includes supporting and encouraging all underrepresented groups, promoting an inclusive culture and valuing diversity. We make selection decisions based on personal merit and an objective assessment against the criteria required for the post. We do not treat job applicants or members of staff less favourably than one another on the grounds of sex (including gender reassignment), marital or parental status, race, ethnic or national origin, colour, disability (including HIV status), sexual orientation, religion, age or socio-economic factors.